TakeAction Minnesota is a statewide people’s network that brings democracy alive in communities across our state. We connect individuals and organizations to each other, contributing to a powerful movement that makes change happen where it wasn’t possible before. We have a track record of winning impressive fights in the streets to hold corporations accountable, changing policy at the Capitol, and electing progressive champions to office. At the same time, we have a much bigger vision for Minnesota, one where we seek transformative change that shifts power into people’s hands and changes toxic narratives that, among other things, tell us that we are all on our own. Our work is to build, connect and help lead a statewide, multi-racial, politically independent movement that can break through the barriers of structural racism, gender oppression and run-away corporate power.
The role of Program Director is to align and leverage TakeAction Minnesota’s four programmatic capacities of organizing and leadership development, communications and narrative, strategic issue campaigns, and electoral politics within the larger strategy of building a statewide, multi-racial and politically independent people’s movement that can set and achieve a progressive agenda. The focus of the Program Director’s job is to increase TakeAction Minnesota’s impact in the world and to create the conditions for a stronger, more durable, thriving people’s movement.
The Program Director is a new position working closely with the Executive Director to operationalize our organizational vision by facilitating staff communication and collaboration, setting clear and measurable goals and benchmarks, and providing support and ensuring accountability toward those goals. The Program Director is responsible for supervising and supporting the Organizing Director, Strategic Campaigns Director, Communications Director and Political Director. A successful Program Director has 100% follow through and can support and hold others accountable to do the same, is relentless about seeking out opportunities and challenges, is a team leader who can ask for help, is motivated to solve problems both big and small, and is an effective fundraiser. We need someone who is a proven strategic thinker, an experienced and effective manager, goal oriented, relational, effective, and flexible.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS — Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Staff Supervision and Support – directly supervise Organizing Director, Communications Director, Strategic Campaigns Director and Political Director
- Support, problem-solve, and ensure accountability toward advancing and meeting the goals of TakeAction Minnesota’s strategic plan.
- Conduct regular supervisory check ins and preform annual personnel reviews
- Convene and lead regular programmatic director meetings
- Keep your Eyes on the Prize – maintain focus on TakeAction’s big picture goal of building the power to govern while providing direction to day to day tactical decision-makers and programmatic directors.
- Devise and Hold Organizational Strategy – develop practical programmatic plans to build a statewide, multi-racial and politically independent movement with measurable goals, and accountability that connects to those goals. Support program staff in our semi-annual work planning process.
- Fundraising – identify and shape trends in the funding community; shape funding proposals consistent with TakeAction’s strategic objectives; work with development staff to coordinate grant proposals/reports/prospecting, setting and reaching member and event fundraising goals, ask for money
- Align and Leverage our organizational power –aggregate the power of TakeAction’s programmatic work to take on and win bigger and more ambitious campaigns and projects and build the strength of our membership
- Cultivate a staff culture of Outcomes and Mutual Accountability – build and reinforce a staff and organizational culture that is relentlessly focused on our external impact and on our accountability to our members as well as to each other as a staff team
- Understand and Assess the Broader Political Landscape – continually survey the larger environment in which TakeAction Minnesota works, identify emerging trends and react accordingly
- Budget Management & Interface with Finance & Operations – work with program staff to develop annual programmatic priorities and budgets, oversee budget management. Identify operational needs and work with operations staff to address those needs.
Education, Training and Experience Guidelines:
- Bachelor’s Degree is preferred
- 5 – 7 years of professional experience in community organizing, electoral politics, issue advocacy or a closely related field is required.
- Political experience at the local, state and federal level.
- Strong management experience. Enjoys working with people and can help others be their best.
- Excellent team leader and team mate. Someone who thrives in a team setting. Someone who knows when to step up and step back.
- A working knowledge of community and coalition organizing, grassroots leadership development, issue and political campaigns, and traditional and new communications strategies
- Understanding of the structural nature of power and inequity and what is required to change it
- Strong understanding of 501 c3 and 501 c4 regulations and the basics of campaign finance laws
- Lived experience in social movements
- Fundraising experience
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable to changing circumstances
- Has a good sense of humor and is a pleasure to work with
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
Work is performed in a standard office environment which requires occasionally lifting such articles as file boxes help from others and/or lifting and carrying light objects frequently. A job in this category may require walking or standing to a significant degree or may involve sitting most of the time with long periods of computer work and heavy phone usage. Flexibility to work outside normal business hours that include evenings and weekends and work extended hours to accomplish the mission of the organization.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Full health and dental benefits and retirement package.
- This position reports directly to the Executive Director.
HOW TO APPLY
Send electronic cover letter, resume and three references attention Emma Grey, Operations Coordinator care of firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line PROGRAM DIRECTOR.
NO PHONE CALLS or EMAILS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
TakeAction Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ individuals, and women.