THE ORGANIZATION: TakeAction Minnesota is a statewide people’s network that brings democracy alive in communities across our state. We connect individuals and organizations to each other, creating a powerful force that makes change happen where it wasn’t possible before. Since its founding eleven years ago, TakeAction Minnesota has grown its breadth and depth. Our membership has grown 10-fold and touches every legislative district in the state. Our social media presence is robust. Our grassroots leadership is well-trained and shapes and implements the strategy of our various campaigns. As a result, TakeAction Minnesota has a track record of increasingly bold victories that change people’s lives for the better: the defeat of a photo ID constitutional amendment, massive public health care expansions, ban the box legislation, paid sick time, minimum wage increase, more than $400 million in corporate tax loopholes now closed, grassroots leaders running for – and winning – elected office.
TakeAction is seeking an experienced and accomplished Director of Membership & Advancement. This position is bottom-line responsible for all money raised by our organization, including foundations, major gifts, events, and has a special emphasis on growing and unleashing the potential of our grassroots and institutional membership. Fundraising at TakeAction Minnesota is a team effort – from our Executive Director to program and organizing staff to our grassroots Outreach Team – we have a culture of asking for money to further our mission. We are searching for a team leader, someone who can marshal our staff capacity, plan effectively, and set, oversee and implement goals. This position also directly manages a Grants Coordinator and an outstanding contract grant writer, and works closely with a strong Data & IT Manager, and finance staff. A successful candidate for this position understands what’s at stake for our communities and loved ones in this political moment, and is hungry to seize opportunities and solve problems both big and small.
PRIMARY FUNCTIONS — Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Grow TakeAction Minnesota’s Dues-Paying Membership. Expand the number dues paying individual members of TakeAction Minnesota. Develop, refine and deepen TakeAction Minnesota’s culture of membership through program development, planning and goal-setting. Work with our Data & IT Manager to link data needs with member growth. Provide support and broad direction to our Outreach Team Director (field canvass) and ensure our grassroots fundraising work on the doors is on target and its most effective.
- Planning and Team Leadership. Convene and lead a cross-organizational staff team to develop and implement an annual development plan which integrates membership, foundation grants, major gifts, and events. Take bottom line responsibility for writing and implementing this plan. Set goals and monitor progress toward annual fundraising goals.
- Grants Management. Manage the Grants Coordinator and ensure all proposals, reports and concept papers are completed on time and with great quality. Coordinate administrative and finance support with the appropriate staff. Manage contract grant writer. Work with the Executive Director and programmatic leads to seek out new and prospective funders.
- Major Gifts. Develop TakeAction’s capacity to raise significant financial gifts from individuals and institutions. Develop an annual plan and goals, coordinating with the Executive Director and other program staff who will also be responsible for raising these gifts.
- Annual Celebration. Working with a team to lead our big yearly event, ensuring it meets its budgeted fundraising goals and offers our members a positive experience.
Education, Training and Experience Guidelines:
- 5 – 7 years of fundraising experience, including grassroots/membership-based fundraising and grants/foundation support.
- Strong project management experience and proven ability to meet urgent deadlines and managing multiple competing priorities.
- Excellent team leader and team mate with a demonstrated ability to lead a team of peers (not only subordinates) and work thrive in a dynamic and diverse workplace.
- Superb writing and editing and interpersonal communication skills.
- A working knowledge of data management systems and donor software (TakeAction Minnesota utilizes EveryAction database).
- Familiarity with 501 c3 and 501 c4 tax regulations
- Is flexible and adaptable to changing circumstances
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Has a good sense of humor and is a pleasure to work with
- Community organizing, coalition building, and/or campaign experience.
- Fluency in Somali, Hmong, or Spanish.
- A strong commitment to social, racial, and economic justice and progressive political change.
- Enthusiastically promote TakeAction Minnesota’s goals and priorities in compliance with all policies and procedures.
- A movement building orientation, striving to build the strength of TakeAction Minnesota and its member organizations and allies.
- Flexibility to work outside normal business hours that include evenings and weekends, and work extended hours, if needed, to accomplish requirements of the position.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION:
A valid Minnesota State Driver’s License is required and access to a reliable vehicle.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
Work is performed in a standard office environment which requires occasionally lifting such articles as file boxes or heavier materials with help from others and/or lifting and carrying light objects frequently. A job in this category may require walking or standing to a significant degree or may involve sitting most of the time with long periods of computer work and heavy phone usage.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Full health and dental benefits and retirement package. This position is NOT a member of the Minnesota Newspaper and Communications Guild.
REPORTS TO & LOCATION
This position reports directly to the Executive Director. Position will be located in our St. Paul office, but may be required to travel at times.
HOW TO APPLY
Send electronic cover letter, resume and three references care of email@example.com with the subject line DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR by no later than October 20, 2017.
NO PHONE CALLS OR EMAIL INQUIRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED.
TakeAction Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, LGBT individuals, and women.