THE ORGANIZATION: TakeAction Minnesota is a statewide people’s network that brings democracy alive in communities across our state. We connect individuals and organizations to each other, creating a powerful force that makes change happen where it wasn’t possible before. Since its founding ten years ago, TakeAction Minnesota has grown its breadth and depth. Our membership has grown 10-fold and touches every legislative district in the state. Our social media presence is robust. Our grassroots leadership is well-trained and shapes and implements the strategy of our various campaigns. As a result, TakeAction Minnesota has a track record of increasingly bold victories that change people’s lives for the better: the defeat of a photo ID constitutional amendment, massive public health care expansions, ban the box legislation, winning back $100million from HMOs, more than $400 million in corporate tax loopholes now closed, grassroots leaders running for – and winning – elected office.
The Director of Finance & Operations will be a hands-on and collaborative leader, playing a critical role on the senior leadership team in strategic decision-making and operations as TakeAction Minnesota continues to grow and increase its impact in the world. This is a tremendous opportunity for a finance leader to maximize and strengthen the internal capacity of a well-respected, high-impact organization.
The Director of Finance & Operations will be responsible for the formulation, monitoring, reporting, and forecasting of TakeAction Minnesota’s 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) annual budgets as well as overall financial management. This position will be tasked with implementing key analysis and planning tools to assist organizational leaders in decision-making and training staff on budgeting and financial management. This position will supervise the finance and operations staff team, and oversee human resources, organizational planning, and facilities.
PRIMARY FUNCTIONS — Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Lead an efficient, effective, and comprehensive process for developing financial plans and budgets that link to key objectives, ensuring that all budgets and forecasts are accurate and completed on time.
- Oversee and manage the continued development and improvement of budgeting, financial forecasting, and modeling tools, including cash flow.
- Analyze complex financial information and reports to provide accurate and timely financial recommendations to organizational leadership for decision-making purposes.
- Assist in the overall improvement of the internal control environment by providing an effective and timely financial review function.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors; assess any changes necessary.
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the board of directors and staff the board’s finance committee.
- Advise the Executive Director and other senior staff members on budget issues.
- Work closely with the Development Director to ensure accurate and timely income projections and all senior staff members on expense management.
- Directly supervise the Finance and Budget Manager who leads day-to-day income and expense tracking, report generation, bill payments and contract management. Manage external bookkeeper, who is responsible for cutting checks, reconciling bank statements, and generating monthly financial reports.
- Directly supervise the Operations & Organizational Effectiveness Manager, who leads on human resource management, benefits administration, staff work planning, and who in turn supervises the Operations Coordinator and Executive Coordinator.
- Risk management, including identifying and monitoring areas of exposure.
- Build overall organizational financial management capacity by training/educating staff and board members on budgeting budget management, understanding income/expense, etc.
- Ensure TakeAction Minnesota has the physical and IT capacity it needs to effectively and securely carry out its mission, working closely with the Data & IT Manager
- Develop annual priorities and goals for physical operations and IT
- Monitor trends in the organization’s development as well as externally to forecast needed changes in future years
- Oversee TAMN’s human resource functions
- Develop key personnel policies and an employee handbook
- Conduct wage and benefit assessments to ensure TAMN is best supporting its employees and is competitive in its field
- Oversee benefit administration, hiring and termination processes and employee
- Serve on the senior management team, acting as a key advisor to the ED and helping inform important strategy, plan and budget decisions
- Provide hands on support and advice to organizational partners in the development and incorporation of 501(c)(4) organizations and with campaign finance reporting and requirements.
- Minimum of five years of relevant, professional nonprofit budgeting experience is required.
- Experience managing foundation and other types of program-restricted grants is preferred.
- Experience working with a nonprofit organization with both a 501(c)(3) and a 501(c)(4) affiliate is a significant plus.
- Demonstrated experience in budget preparation for an organization with an annual budget larger than $3 million.
- Experience in a membership-based organization and/or with door-to-door canvass management is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, economics, or other analytical field is preferred.
- Familiarity with Quickbooks Online and advanced Microsoft Excel skills. Database and enterprise resource planning skills are desirable.
- Highest standards of accuracy and precision; highly organized.
- Articulate with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A strong commitment to social, racial, and economic justice and progressive political change.
- Enthusiastically promote TakeAction Minnesota’s goals and priorities in compliance with all policies and procedures, and have a deep investment in our shared agenda for change.
- Complete and coordinate special projects as needed.
- Other duties or tasks may be assigned on an as-needed basis.
- Flexibility to work outside normal business hours that include evenings and weekends, and work extended hours to accomplish requirements of the position.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
Work is performed in a standard office environment which requires occasionally lifting such articles as file boxes or heavier materials with help from others and/or lifting and carrying light objects frequently. A job in this category may require walking or standing to a significant degree or may involve sitting most of the time with long periods of computer work and heavy phone usage.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Full health and dental benefits and retirement package. This position is NOT a member of the Minnesota Newspaper and Communications Guild.
REPORTS TO & LOCATION
This position reports directly to the Executive Director. Position will be located in our St. Paul office, but may be required to travel throughout the state at times.
HOW TO APPLY
Send electronic cover letter, resume and three references care of Tara Zachman to email@example.com with the subject line DIRECTOR OF FINANCE & OPERATIONS by no later than 11:59PM on March 10, 2017.
NO PHONE CALLS OR EMAIL INQUIRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED.
TakeAction Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, LGBT individuals, and women.